[Dspace-general] Publisher's requirements for links from published articles

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 10:36:16 EDT 2008

On 22-Apr-08, at 10:12 AM, dspace-general-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:24:29 -0700
> From: "Jeremy C. Shellhase" <jcs -- lib-mail.humboldt.edu>
>
> We're working to include more of our faculty's published works in
> our instance of dspace, Humboldt Digital Scholar, and wanted to pose
> a couple questions about "best practices" in complying with some of
> the RoMEO green publishers requirements, before we got too far along
> in the work.

SHERPA RoMEO "Green" is not quite the right category, because it means
"BOTH postprint-Green AND preprint-Green" whereas what you should be
covering is postprint-Green, whether or not the publisher also happens
to be preprint-Green, and you should also look carefully at the
preprint Greens, because many of them mean "postprint" (author's final
refereed draft) even though they say "preprint" (unrefereed draft)
wrongly thinking that "postprint" means publisher's PDF!

> Publishers frequently ask for a link back to their online presence
> with statements like:
> *         Must link to publisher version
> *         Must link to publisher version or journal home page
> *         Must link to APA journal home page
> We've looked in the metadata fields available and cannot really find
> a perfect place for this information and link.  Has anyone set a
> standard practice for this using metadata?

There should be an "other locations" field in DSpace, as there is in
EPrints. (If not, someone should quickly create/configure one.)

That's the place to put the link to the publisher link.

> The other option is to include this information as a preliminary
> page added to the actual submission, embedding the information in
> the digital object itself.  If there are any other great ideas
> floating around, we'd sure like to hear.

Yes, that's an option, and not bad as scholarly practice. But since it
entails more work for the author, and since it's already like pulling
teeth to get them to deposit, it's probably more efficient to use the
"other locations" field in the IR interface.

> Publishers frequently state that "Publisher version cannot be used",
> allowing only the author's pre or post refereeing drafts.  Well, as
> it turns out, many of the faculty that have time to consider
> archiving their legacy are emeritus or close to it and the
> publications they're interested in archiving no longer have a
> digital author's copy available.  We're stuck with how to proceed,
> if indeed we can.  Does scanning and OCRing a printed copy of an
> article satisfy this requirement?

I agree completely with the previous reply by Shane Beers below: Just
"repurpose" the PDF or scanned OCR.

Stevan Harnad