[Dspace-general] DSpace for Museums

Valorie Hollister val at dspace.org
Tue Apr 8 19:28:56 EDT 2008

Dear Joachim,
I am the Community Outreach Manager at DSpace Foundation. The
following are references on the DSpace museum repositories that we are
aware of. If there are any in particular that you are interested to
learning more about and you are unable to find contacts based on the
links provided, please let me know and I can try to find the right
person to point you in touch with.
-Valorie Hollister

American Museum of Natural History Research Library
Scientific Publications
USA
(http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/)

Natural History Museum
By Biomedcentral
UK
(http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/)

Royal Naval Museum
Portsmouth, UK
(http://www.seayourhistory.org.uk/)

National Research Foundation of Greece
PANDEKTIS
Contains major digital collections of Greek history and culture
"Affiliates Treasure
Primary Memorabilia Greek History and Culture"
(http://pandektis.ekt.gr/dspace/)

China Digital Museum Project
http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=169

Further info on DAArch:
Digital Archive For Architecture (DAArch) to support the use of the
Categories for the
Description of Works of Art (CDWA) metadata schema in DSpace.
http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Itemid=169

Dear DSpace community,

does anybody out there deploy DSpace as an IR in the museum field?

If you have to report advantages and disadvantages of using DSpace in
the context of the Arts, I would be quite interested in as many
details as possible. Your answers will influence the decision-making
process of a network of German museums contemplating the use of DSpace
for their needs.

There are two questions of special importance:

1) In which way do the DC elements adapt to the description of objets
d'art?

2) And to which format (e.g. CDWA Lite) are you mapping for metadata
harvesting?

You may reply directly to my email adress at
j.raeth(at)stadtteilgeschichten.net

If anyone takes interest in some kind of resumee, I would be glad to
provide you with.

Thank you in advance

Joachim Raeth