[Dspace-general] DSpace for Museums

James Rutherford james.rutherford at hp.com
Tue Apr 8 11:28:40 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:53:38PM +0000, Joachim R?th wrote:
> does anybody out there deploy DSpace as an IR in the museum field?
>
> If you have to report advantages and disadvantages of using DSpace in
> the context of the Arts, I would be quite interested in as many
> details as possible. Your answers will influence the decision-making
> process of a network of German museums contemplating the use of DSpace
> for their needs.

You may be interested in reading this paper on d-lib by our good friend
Dr Tansley: http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july06/tansley/07tansley.html which
outlines the architecture of the China Digital Museum Project which
sounds startlingly similar.

> There are two questions of special importance:
>
> 1) In which way do the DC elements adapt to the description of objets
> d'art?

The approach taken for the project in China was to use a core set of DC
terms and to also adopt custom metadata schemas for certain classes of
content within the museums (I think there were 5 additional schema in
total).

> 2) And to which format (e.g. CDWA Lite) are you mapping for metadata
> harvesting?

I think this was all captured in a big mess of METS :) but I'm not 100%
sure of the approach taken here. Reducing the metadata to a few core DC
terms for harvesting purposes might be fine if you primarily care about
making metadata available for discovery (rather than, eg, replication).

cheers,

Jim

--
James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office:
Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential
and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in
error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the
sender. To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise
stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP
CONFIDENTIAL".