[Dspace-general] ETDs and Copyright Releases

Bram Luyten bram at mire.be
Mon Apr 7 07:16:30 EDT 2008

Dear Karen,

from my experience, in dialogue with repository managers having similar
ideas, I noticed following similarities:

* Many institutes like to have an internal archive of all theses, and a
public one, exposing only the metadata // full text of a selection of
theses. Some of these institutes solve this with 2 dspace instances, and
copying a selection from one to the other. Other institutes have one DSpace,
with limited visibility for certain items or collections.

* Concerning master theses: If students are asked whether they want to have
their thesis published in a repository, most of them answer yes.
Unfortunately, not all of their promotors tend to agree with this.

* Regarding copyright: most institutes find a way to convert or extend their
existing copyright forms for theses, to also accomodate publishing in a
repository. It tends to get a bit more difficult, if these theses are the
result of an internship or collaboration with the industry OR if they come
from the medical field (containing patient analysis etc). Unfortunately,
many of these thesis don't get to see daylight although they would be useful
to the scientific community.

Also, the university of Tromso presented a nice case study regarding ETD's
in DSpace, at the DSpace user group in Rome last year
*
"Case Study: Electronic only submission of theses through DSpace
Leif Longva, University of Tromso
Obiajulu Odu, University of Tromso
Abstract
Munin, the institutional repository at University of Tromsø, Norway, has in
its first year since launching emphasized publishing master's theses.
According to Norwegian law, the institution may not mandate master's theses
to be published in Munin. Lots of effort were therefore put into announcing
the option and convincing the students that having their thesis available in
Munin is a good idea. In the spring semester of 2006, the resulting
percentage of published master's theses, out of all submitted for defence,
were 16.

In order to turn this around, we intend to introduce Munin as the only means
to submit master's theses to the faculty for defence. In stead of publishing
those theses actively being submitted to Munin, this way we publish them
all, except for those actively being marked "do not publish".

The use of Munin as the submission channel for any master's thesis has been
tried out at the Faculty of Science in the spring semester of 2007. We have
learned that meeting the needs of the faculty administration, including
printing services, is difficult through adjustments of the one and only
Munin submission form and the workflow options of the Munin DSpace. We
therefore launched this project of establishing a submission portal for
master's theses by the use of a separate DSpace instance. We plan to have
the portal operating by the submission deadline medio november 2007. The
project include:
Presenting and discussing the plan with the faculties as well as with the
University's administration. The goal is that the University decide to use
Munin as the only submission channel for master's theses.
Defining and describing the administrative needs of the faculties and the
University.
Designing the separate DSpace instance as the submission portal, optimizing
the submission form and the workflow for the purpose.
Integrating printing service requirements, through the design of the
submission form and integrating printing services in the workflow.
Document and metadata exchange between the submission portal DSpace and the
Munin DSpace, as well as with possible other administrative tools.

The objective of the project is to maximize the number of master's theses
published in Munin, and to establish more efficient workflows for the
administrative needs.

A possible extension would be to establish a similar submission portal for
doctoral theses.

At the time of writing this abstract, the project is still in an early
stage. We believe we may present a fully operating DSpace submission portal
for master's theses, by the time of the DSpace User Group Meeting, Rome
October 2007."*

To get more information about there approach, their repository is available
at http://www.ub.uit.no/munin/
and a contact email is munin at ub.uit.no

Hope this helps !

with kindest regards,