[Dspace-general] What Distribution of Linus Works Best?

James Tuttle jim_tuttle at ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 2 12:55:28 EDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:44:56 -0500
> From: "Greg Bush" <gbush at kfa-inc.com>
> Subject: [Dspace-general] What Distribution of Linus Works Best?
> To: <dspace-general at mit.edu>
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am new to DSPACE and Linux and all of the other application components
> required to make DSPACE work.  I have to setup the system very quickly.  Is
> there a distribution of Linux that is known to work the best?  Is there one
> that is the easiest to configure?  Please provide any tips that you can.
>

> Thank you for your valuable time.
>
> Greg Bush
>
> In Chicago
>
> 312-641-9339

Hi Greg,

I've installed DSpace on Redhat, Suse, and Ubuntu.  In my experience,
Ubuntu was by far the easiest installation.  Additionally, I find
maintaining, securing, and updating an Ubuntu system easier.  I used
6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) which offers security updates for 5 years.
 There is another Ubuntu LTS distribution due to arrive in April of
2008, I believe.

Jim
--
Jim Tuttle