[Dspace-general] Dspace upload requirements

Christian Voelker C.Voelker at gmx.net
Mon Nov 12 13:29:02 EST 2007

Hello,

Am 12.11.2007 um 18:01 schrieb Kalyan Upadhyaya:

> I'm harvesting metadata from arxiv.org using PKP OAI harvester. So I
> don't have any pdf files or objects from arXiv.org but just the
> metadata. Then I want to upload those metadata into DSpace repository
> that my institution is already using.
> Is DSpace able to serve this purpose?

I am the tech guy for our site, so may not have right perspective.
It might make sense to do this to be able to search across your own
and the foreign data in one step. I dont know other ways to link two
repositories that keep content that is related in some way. We have
a site that works separately from others.

Your are in the right place to discuss this here on the general list.
However I understood your former question as more technically oriented.
I bet you can do this using the batch importer either right away or
with very little modification. If you need more help, you should
post further questions regarding this on the tech list. I have not
used the batch importer myself so far.

I see the advantage of an integrated search for content but think there
should be a link to the original source within each item. Maybe the data
harvested from the external source can be modified before import using
a script to add a link on a per item base to the metadata? This too
might be a thing you should ask about on the tech list.

Bye, Christian