[Dspace-general] Library catalog/repository overlap

Susan Parham susan.parham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:50:14 EST 2007

I'm curious as to how other institutions handle overlap between their
catalog and repository item records.  The obvious collection example
is ETDs, though we have other local collections which also appear in
both our catalog and IR.

We have never included call numbers in our repository, but now that we
are changing our workflow to create catalog records directly from
repository records, some of our librarians want the inclusion of call
numbers (including for non-print items).  Does anyone else do this?

Additionally, how do others plan to handle duplicate records via a
next gen library search interface such as VuFind?  We have discussed
suppressing the catalog record in favor of the repository record
because it provides the full-text.  In such a scenario, the call
number of the print item would not then be available.

Your thoughts?

--
Susan Wells Parham
Digital Repository Architect