[Dspace-general] DSpace withdraw vs. delete/expunge

Naomi Eichenlaub Naomi.Eichenlaub at RoyalRoads.ca
Thu May 17 15:37:59 EDT 2007

Hello,

We created our first community / collection / item in DSpace and then
noticed that our Handles were not generating properly (a space was being
inserted after the institution number). We have since corrected this
problem and now need to recreate our community / collection / item.

We have read the following caveat in the DSpace documentation:
"DSpace does have a function to fully delete an item ('expunge'), used
in a similar way to the withdraw tool, but it is strongly recommended
you do not use it."
http://docs.ndltd.org:8080/dspace/help/collection-admin.html

Is it safe for us to Delete/Expunge this one item (and associated
collection and community)?

Also wondering if we can delete at the the Community or Collection level
or do we need to withdraw or delete/expunge the one item first?

Thanks very much for any advice,

Naomi

Naomi Eichenlaub, MLIS

Librarian and Archivist