[Dspace-general] communities and collections layout

Pat Galloway galloway at ischool.utexas.edu
Fri May 4 17:35:53 EDT 2007

Deborah,
Our departmental institutional repository is being run as an archives,
containing born-digital materials (mostly) as well as use copies in
accessible formats. We are especially interested in how the DSpace
structure can be used to instantiate archival descriptive practice and
are experimenting with where to apply descriptive elements. We are
holding materials for our school, but we are also hosting temporarily
other collections that are being processed as student projects. You may
be interested especially in several collections of literary born-digital
materials that we are hosting for the Harry Ransom Center here at UT:
though you cannot due to copyright issues and HRC policy actually see
the items, you can look at the community-subcommunity-collection
structures that my students have made in mirroring the published or
in-progress HRC finding aids for paper materials from the same
collections (augmented where the born-digital has no paper analog). Look
at https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/ and look under the Special Projects
community. The Michael Joyce collection is especially fleshed out
structurally (though the finding aid for paper collections is not yet
complete, since in this case the paper is less important), but there are
other collections for Arnold Wesker, Leon Uris, John Crowley, and Norman
Mailer. To get a feeling for how the DSpace structure reflects the HRC's
practice in creating archival finding aids, especially compare the
Wesker finding aids here http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fa/
Pat Galloway
School of Information
University of Texas at Austin