[Dspace-general] communities and collections layout

Deborah Kaplan dkaplan at brandeis.edu
Thu May 3 15:39:07 EDT 2007

Hello, all,

In setting up our new DSpace repository, I am trying to design
our communities and collections layout. It seems like the
majority of institutions make this mirror their academic
department structure (i.e. a collection for the school of arts
and sciences, with the community for the most department, the
history department, etc.). I have heard some repository managers
talk about problems they've had with this layout, but I have not
heard about any proven alternatives.

Additionally, we will be using their DSpace repository for more
than just an institutional repository; we will also be using it
as a generalized Digital Library product. For example, digitized
and born-digital objects from our archives and special
collections will be deposited in DSpace, as well as possible
cross-disciplinary faculty projects. Moreover, we would also like
a location for non-faculty, non-department affiliated staff to
deposit traditional institutional repository objects, such as
presentations and papers.

Does anyone have alternative collections and community models
aside from the traditional departmental structure? If so, would
you be willing to share what you have learned? What works and
what doesn't?

Thanks very much,

Deborah Kaplan
--