[Dspace-general] Communites by subject

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 16 07:59:15 EDT 2007

Hi Swarna,

Structuring your DSpace to use subjects for the communities is fine. The
community/collection structure was meant to be a convenience for
adopters, not a constraint on how the repository is set up in your
institution...you should do whatever makes the most sense. The one issue
you may run into is submission rights...if you intend to have
distributed submission by authors (as opposed to the library doing it
for them), then you need to create a DSpace e-person for each of them
and assign them rights to deposit to specific communities/collections.
If you organize you site by subject and you can't be sure which subjects
a particular author might need to submit to, then you'll have a lot of
work setting up those permissions... but it's doable.

Best wishes,

MacKenzie

--
MacKenzie Smith