[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] DSpace `Dublin Core' | Date Issued | Date Range | How to represent

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at iconz.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 18:27:09 EDT 2007

Hello Paulo Jobim,

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 03:01, instituto A.C.Jobim wrote:
> Hi Richard

> I think using the date.issued field quite confusing because thats  what
>  DSpace automatically uses when you don't check the "item has been
>   published before" box.

My use of `date.issued' for previously published items is consistent
with the recommendations here:

 http://www.dspace.org/technology/metadata.html

A short summary of the suggested element / qualifier pairs follows:

1.) date -- Use qualified form if possible

2.) date accessioned -- Date DSpace takes possession of item

3.) date available -- Date or date range item became available to the
public

4.) date copyright -- Date of copyright

5.) date created -- Date of creation or manufacture of intellectual
content if different from date.issued

6.) date issued -- Date of publication or distribution

7.) date submitted -- Recommend for theses and dissertations

Clearly, dc.date.issued is to be used for the date of `original'
publication in the case of previously published material.
dc.date.created, on the other hand, is only to be used in addition, and
not as a substitute for, dc.date.issued.

> At the Institute here we used date.created and maybe I will change it
> for simply date.

As above, probably its undoubtably best to use a qualified form if you
can.

> Researchers here use sometimes brackets or parentesis to indicate if
> a date is a guess of the researcher and all these things break the
> browse by date page and make the sorting alleatory. We finally
> decided to treat this field as text and not date (in dspace.cfg) so I
> remove the brackets in the field sort_date and everybody uses the
> YYYY-MM-DD format so periods like 1960-1970 will be sorted correctly
> and the browse page will not break.

The primary issue for me is how to represent date ranges in the
dublin_core.xml file so that DSpace can adequately sort and display the
range in `Browse by title' and `Browse by date', and display the range
in `Brief item view'. If I properly understand the relatively few
DSpace distribution does not enable one to specify a date range in an
item's date metadata fields, for e.g., something along the lines of the
DCMI Period Encoding Scheme:

 http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-period/

This is a serious deficiency in any system, let alone in one that has
pretensions to provide a basis for a digital archive. I would welcome
comments from DSpace core developers on their proposed solution to
DSpace's lack of support for encoding periods.

Best regards,

 Richard Mahoney

OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org