[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] DSpace `Dublin Core' | Date Issued | Date Range | How to represent

instituto A.C.Jobim iacj at terra.com.br
Tue Jun 12 11:01:04 EDT 2007

Hi Richard
I think using the date.issued field quite confusing because thats
what DSpace automaticly uses when you dont check the "item has been
published before" box.
At the Institute here we used date.created and maybe I will change it
for simply date.
Researchers here use sometimes brackets or parentesis to indicate if
a date is a guess of the researcher and all these things break the
browse by date page and make the sorting alleatory. We finally
decided to treat this field as text and not date (in dspace.cfg) so I
remove the brackets in the field sort_date and everybody uses the
YYYY-MM-DD format so periods like 1960-1970 will be sorted correctly
and the browse page will not break.
I hope this helps
Paulo Jobim