[Dspace-general] Statistics

Monika Mevenkamp Monika.Mevenkamp at library.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 8 12:29:21 EDT 2007

A summer student will work on statistics. You can see the proposal on the
wiki:  here
<http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code_Statistics>

Currently the statistics AddOn package by MiniHo University has more
advanced stats than the standard that comes with dspace. Their package is
based on pljava which we were unable to get up and running on our production
server. We had no problems on Ubuntu though. Infos is  on the wiki
there<http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php//StatisticsAddOn>

There are two customizations I did for our repository at Georgia Tech.
Neither has anything to do with analyzing  browsing behavior of users.

One customization was to add google analytics  triggers to the site. The
patch for the JSP  interface is available as patch
1712972.<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1712972&group_id=19984&atid=319984>This
is rather easy to do and gives nice info about where users come from,
how long they stay, .... Not very useful in terms of finding out which
collections, searches, ... are more or less popular.

The other customization to the  default statistics involved counting
activity from a list of predefined IP address towards NON-USER.  In our case
I added google, elsevier, and our own IP addresses to the NON-USER list. You
can see this at
     count USER and NON USER activity on SMARTECH at Georgia
Tech<http://smartech.gatech.edu/statistics>
This was an ad hoc solution for our purposes. There is a patch
1686963<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1686963&group_id=19984&atid=319984>but
I recommend to wait what the summer student comes up with.

Monika

On 6/7/07, Leonie Hayes <l.hayes at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>  Does anyone have words of wisdom on statistics?
> Particularly if you have looked at "by author" as well as "by item"
>
> If you have implemented statistics either the existing addon or your
> own customisations, which you found very useful and helpful
> would you share your site URL's with us.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>  Leonie Hayes
> Project Manager
> Institutional Repositories Aotearoa