[Dspace-general] Diacritics (was: subscripts in abstracts)

Donna Barber donna.barber at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jun 6 17:53:34 EDT 2007

Hi Alvin,

We are also batch importing content and have had similar problems. We find and replace the most commonly used characters with the Unicode character code, and this seems to fix most occurrences. Occasionally we come across a character that we aren't automatically replacing, so we just look up the code in the Unicode charts (http://www.unicode.org/charts/) and edit the XML file before loading.

For example, you should be able to replace all instances of á with á and all ' with '

Sometimes garbled characters get through the import process without causing errors. We've found that you can enter the correct code straight into the DSpace submission form or item edit screen - however, you normally need to click the update button a couple of times before the character will display correctly.

Donna Barber
Applications Support Librarian
Central Library
University of Canterbury