[Dspace-general] Diacritics (was: subscripts in abstracts)

Hutchinson, Alvin HUTCHINSONA at si.edu
Wed Jun 6 12:28:13 EDT 2007

Dspace users-

We are also wrestling with a similar problem regarding subscript, diacritics or other nonstandard characters. I am batch-importing Dspace content from a Microsoft Access database that I export to XML. Accented, scientific and other characters are not translating well. Many of the characters are encoded for html as in: ' or á but the importer identifies these as undeclared elements. If I change them to their actual characters ' or á in an editor before importing, they become garbled when I upload the file to the (Unix) server.

I have tried changing the UTF-8 encoding designation but with no luck. I am willing to do a global find-and-replace to get the characters right but I haven't found the right replacement characters.

I may have to end up editing these items by hand after they are imported but I would obviously like to avoid that.

Is anyone else doing likewise and/or having similar problems?

Alvin Hutchinson
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
(202) 633-1031

Message: 1