[Dspace-general] Is it OK to add data fields at the database level?

Dorothea Salo dorothea.salo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:03:06 EDT 2007

> I have been asked by our staff if there are objections to undertaking
> bulk changes in the dspace database using Postgres commands, i.e
> directly modifiying particular tables to insert/update data. Their
> feeling is that doing records one at time is not what computer systems
> are about.

<snip/>

> Has anyone tried to do this?

Oh, certainly. With more frequency than I like to admit. :) It seems
to me your admins have done the necessary amount of testing, and all
should go just fine.

Directly changing the database is the only halfway-efficient way to do
authority control on a long list of author names or subjects.

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo                dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 218, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493