[Dspace-general] Is it OK to add data fields at the database level?

Fiona Campbell FCampbell at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 22:28:51 EDT 2007

Dear DSpace Experts,
I have been asked by our staff if there are objections to undertaking
bulk changes in the dspace database using Postgres commands, i.e
directly modifiying particular tables to insert/update data. Their
feeling is that doing records one at time is not what computer systems
are about.

In particular they are looking at making bulk changes to some items
which contain a dc.rights field, where they need to add a dc.rights.url
field corresponding the Creative Commons licence the item has.

There has been some testing done on a minor test machine and so far
nothing appears to have gone wrong as such, but I am concerned that
often problems are not always spotted. I am fairly conservative in these
things.

Has anyone tried to do this?

Has anyone an opinion on doing this?

Thanks,

Susan Chapman
Librarian (Library Systems Support)
ITS Systems Support
Swinburne University of Technology

EN101 Mezanine
Mail 37
PO Box 218
Hawthorn Vic 3122
tel: +61 3 9214 8279
fax: +61 3 9214 5178
email: schapman at swin.edu.au

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.