[Dspace-general] Broad concept question

Sean Thomas sthomas at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 29 11:33:14 EST 2007

Hi Glenn,

I can tell you that I've been asked this same question many times having
previously worked for a library automation vendor that had both ILS and
repository solutions.  I think that a major cause of confusion is in
looking at
repositories through the standpoint of the user interface.  I've often heard
that DC and qDC are inferior descriptive metadata schemes to MARC and, as far
as
linking to digital assests, they can do that through the 856 tag in the MARC
record.  Those are fine arguments but they're only related to a very small
aspect of what repositories do.  Repositories, at their core, are about
*managing* the digital assets.  To do this effectively, you need to consider
solutions that can support not just descriptive metadata to aid in end-user
discovery, but also technical and administrative metadata and that do
this in a
structured, standardized way (such as in METS).  You want to consider
solutions
that can aid in format recognition (e.g. JHOVE) and verification (e.g. MD5
checksum, SHA-1 hash) to ensure that these assets have not become corrupt and
in support of future format migration strategies.  While you can store all of
this technical data in MARC, even if it's in a 9xx field, you're going to have
to build customized solutions in the future to mine this data to use it in any
way.  All of this is necessary to begin building preservation strategies for
these digital assets.  While you could put your most valuable physical special
collections in the library stacks, you choose wisely to preserve them
and house
them in secure, temperature and humidity controlled facilities.  Likewise with
digital assets, you could 'shoe-horn' the metadata that you need into
MARC, but
you'd be better off in the long run to consider systems that are designed to
handle the existing and future needs for the preservation of these materials.

There are many other benefits to repositories of course, such as being 'format
agnostic' regarding what can be stored - not only relating to rich media, but
also to native descriptive metadata formats like EAD, TEI, and others which
loose their structure when mapped to MARC.  I could go on and on but,
hopefully, this will help with your struggle to convince your librarians to
start thinking outside of the MARC box.

Sean

--
Sean Thomas