[Dspace-general] notre dame ir report

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Mon Jan 15 16:20:16 EST 2007

This past year Notre Dame did a bit of exploration regarding
institutional repositories, and we have put our report on the Web.
 From the Executive Summary:

   1. What we did - In a nutshell we established relationships with
      a number of content groups across campus: the Kellogg
      Institute, the Institute for Latino Studies, Art History,
      Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Life Science, the
      Nanovic Insitute, the Kaneb Center, the School of
      Architecture, FTT (Film, Television, and Theater), the Gigot
      Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, the Institute for
      Scholarship in the Liberal Arts, the Graduate School, the
      University Intellectual Property Committee, the Provost's
      Office, and General Councel. Next, we collected content from
      many of these groups, "cataloged" it, and saved it into three
      different computer systems: DigiTool, ETD-db, and DSpace.
      Finally, we aggregated this content into a centralized cache
      to provide enhanced browsing, searching, and syndication
      services against the content.

   2. What we learned - We essentially learned four things: 1)
      metadata matters, 2) preservation now, not later, 3) the IDR
      requires dedicated people with specific skills, 4) copyright
      raises the largest number of questions regarding the
      fulfillment of the goals of the IDR.

   3. Where we are leaning in regards to recommendations - The
      recommendations take the form of a "Chinese menu" of options,
      and the options are be grouped into "meals". We recommend the
      IDR continue and include: 1) continuing to do the Electronic
      Theses & Dissertations, 2) writing and implementing metadata
      and preservation policies and procedures, 3) taking the
      Excellent Undergraduate Research to the next level, and 4)
      continuing to implement DigiTool. There are quite a number of
      other options, but they may be deemed too expensive to
      implement.

The Report comes in two flavors, HTML and PDF:

   http://www.library.nd.edu/idr/documents/idr-final-report.shtml
   http://www.library.nd.edu/idr/documents/idr-final-report.pdf

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604