[Dspace-general] Collections Budget

David Goodman dgoodman at Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 23 19:23:27 EST 2007

On the contrary, I think it's an excellent idea. True, no library now can afford to spend much money for the
purpose. But most libraries have supported OA journals in a small way, by buying memberships that allowed
discounted publication charges for the faculty. This is the same principle. While important subscription-access
titles continue, the library must buy them. But a small amount of funds can be used to partially support the
faculty in OA publishing, and establish that the library will do ,more, as more funding becomes available:

In the past, I offered my faculty greatly improved document delivery services supported by some of the
subscription money, and I was able to show them the increased level of true service that would result, and
was able to set the pattern for such library-funded service more widely with the university.

There are always some subscription titles which are least used and most expensive. I think faculty would in
general support their cancellation in exchange for money towards publication fees, and the library should
suggest and encourage such moves. This will aid OA by positive feedback. Some of these overly expensive
and cost-inefficient titles will be the same for many universities, and this faculty-supported action will
encourage such journals to change to OA journals, or perhaps to become not worth the publishing. Then
there will be even more money to support OA--all forms of OA:
existing and new OA journals, library supported OA publishing of small journals together with the faculty,
expansion, better publicity,  and increased use of the institutional repository--and if there isn't an IR already,
the library is well placed to establish one.

The alternative is to  refuse tangible help. In a few years, as subscription journals become increasingly Open
Access or have their articles available in archives, the administration will eventually suggest that there is no
reason to fund the library to pay for material which it already has available free. Then is the time the library
will wish it had faculty support. Without it, the library will lose the funds altogether, and play a diminishing
role within the university. If the library had instead used some of the increasing amounts that become
available to support the faculty's OA publications, then it will retain its centrality--and even increase it, as it
moves towards being a publisher as well s a  collector.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library