[Dspace-general] Posted on behalf of Roberta Winjum

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 15 16:31:09 EST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:42:09 -0600
From: 	Roberta Winjum <roberta.winjum at vanderbilt.edu>
To: 	dspace general-owner at mit.edu

Hi all,

Our library is adding some podcasts to our DSpace repository. I
think an important metadata element for a user to see is the
duration of the podcast, i.e. minutes and seconds. Dublin Core puts
this info into a field called "format.exent" but a format.extent
field already exists that says how many bytes are in the file. And
so, to display the duration in the DSpace Simple display, we end up
displaying the number of bytes as well. This isn't especially
essential info to the user, and I feel doesn't belong in the Simple
display.

Have any DSpace communities out there dealt with this problem, and
if so, how? Or does anyone have ideas for how to handle it?

Thanks,
Roberta

Roberta J. Winjum
Assistant University Librarian