[Dspace-general] shining stars anyone?

Catherine Jannik catherine.jannik at library.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 8 09:12:45 EST 2007

Ingrid,
We have a professor here at Georgia Tech who is an enthusiastic
self-submitter (one of the few we have) who links from his bio at the
College of Management http://mgt.gatech.edu/directory/ferguson.html to
our DSpace installation, SMARTech.  If you go to the link above and
chose "Access and view Dr. Ferguson's recent publications and working
papers" under Related Links, you will be taken to his work in SMARTech.
Catherine

Ingrid Mason wrote:

>Hi there,
>

>I have been trawling the 'net to find an example of an academic, who has
>deposited research outputs in an institutional repository and then
>linked to these records in the repository (using the handles or even the
>URL for the fulltext file) from their personal webpage.  I have been
>somewhat surprised to find that academics, that are also enthusiastic
>depositors of their research outputs, still seem to be pointing to
>locally stored fulltext files, rather than linking to and using the
>handles (or URL for the fulltext file) in a repository that they have
>deposited their papers in.  Is this because they simply don't have time
>to rewrite their webpages?
>

>Does anyone have a shining star that they use to illustrate that this is
>a great (and simple) means of highlighting their works within their
>personal webpages?  Are there academics around the place that have taken
>this opportunity up?
>

>The only example I could find that vaguely fits this category is the
>Otago Eprints repository, with a single link from the School of
>Business' website to their eprints repository:
>http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/com/research/index.html
>

>There are examples of collections of academic's works within
>repositories, does anyone have a few shining stars in this manner too?
>

>Examples (and insights) welcomed.
>

>Cheers, Ingrid
>

>Ingrid Mason
>
>Digital Research Repository Coordinator
>
>New Zealand Electronic Text Centre, University Library
>
>Victoria University of Wellington
>
>P O Box 600, Wellington 6140
>
>New Zealand = Aotearoa
>

>ph: 64-4-463 6844
>
>fx: 64-4-04 463 6059
>
>em: ingrid.mason at vuw.ac.nz <mailto:ingrid.mason at vuw.ac.nz>
>
>ws: www.vuw.ac.nz <http://www.vuw.ac.nz/>
>

>Location: Kelburn Campus, Rankin Brown, 501A
>

>The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential
>and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
>recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not
>disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error you are
>asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately. Your
>assistance is appreciated.

Catherine M. Jannik
Digital Initiatives Manager
Georgia Institute of Technology