[Dspace-general] Value-Add Features request

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 2 15:09:57 EST 2007

Hi Shawna,
> It was lovely meeting some of you at the conference in San Antonio, TX
> last week. My Dspace spirits have been rejuvenated and I would like to
> propose three features for future development, as requested by my local
> faculty.
>
> 1. Statistics which are open, similar to E-Prints
> 2. Citation Export to bibliographic software such as EndNote and RefWorks
> 3. Embargoes for files

Thanks for this input -- these are all features that get mentioned often
and it's good to
know that real users are asking for them. Let me just a couple of points
to your request
for the benefit of the list readers:

-- there is a "feature request" list for DSpace in SourceForge where
it's best to put
these ideas when you are inspired to share them...
go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/ and under the "Tracker"
tab there's a
"Feature Request" option. You'll see a list of about 91 features that
have been asked for...
some duplicates, some already done, most just waiting for someone to
adopt them
and take them home...

-- putting ideas on this list is way to bring them to the attention of
the developers
in our community, but does not *insure* that they will ever be done. All
DSpace
development is *voluntary* and institutions try to help out when and
where they
can, usually in support of things that their own institution really want.

So for everyone out there with good ideas, if there's some feature or
change that
you particularly want to have, the best way to make it happen is to find
someone
in your own organization to do the development work and contribute it
back to
the community for everyone's benefit!

Thanks,

MacKenzie