[Dspace-general] seeking sample records & suggestions for Portable Citations (Summer of Code)

Martin Courtois courtois at ksu.edu
Wed Apr 25 14:28:04 EDT 2007

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for letting us know about your project.  In terms of importing
citations into DSpace, I'd like to see a tool that could be configured
to "crosswalk" from one format to another.  For example, let's say I
have citations in RIS format and I want to transform them into the DC
scheme used in our local DSpace.  It would be great if I could fill in
the "source" and "target" fields on a grid, like this:

Source      Target
Format      Format

A1     =>   contributor.author
TI     =>   citation.atitle
JF     =>   citation.jtitle
VL     =>   citation.volume
AB     =>   description.abstract
etc.

So, whatever text is in the "A1" field(s) in the RIS citation would be
added to the "contributor.author" field(s) in the DSpace record.
Managers would likely be using DSpace's Item Importer to import
citations in batches, so it would be useful if the Portable Citations
tool could format citations in the required dublin_core.xml file format
(See the "Item Importer and Exporter" section of the DSpace System
Documentation:
http://dspace.org/technology/system-docs/application.html#itemimporter).

I've put a few sample citations in the RIS format from RefWorks at the
bottom of this message.  I think this would be one of the most useful
formats, although it would be even better if Portable Citations could
transform citations directly from the database (PsycInfo, Agricola,
ERIC, etc.), but I realize this would be much harder to do.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I haven't made things
clear.

Marty

Martin Courtois
Information Technology Assistance Center
509 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66506
Phone: 785 532-4428
Fax: 785 532-3199
E-mail: courtois at ksu.edu

Sample citations exported from RefWorks in RIS format

TY  - CONF
ID  - 3
A1  - Robert Tansley
A1  - Mick Bass
A1  - MacKenzie Smith
T1  - DSpace as an Open Archival Information System: current status and
future directions
Y1  - 2003
Y2  - August 17-22
SP  - 446
EP  - 460
T2  - Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: 7th
European Conference, ECDL 2003
VL  - Trondheim, Norway
PB  - Springer-Verlag
CY  - Heidelberg
A3  - Anonymous
T3  - Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2769
AV  - Paper; DSpace Articles
M1  - Conference Proceedings
ER  -

TY  - JOUR
ID  - 1
A1  - Silverstone,Ariel
T1  - Toward a Virus-Free Campus
Y1  - 2004
VL  - 27
IS  - 3
SP  - 50
EP  - 52
KW  - computer security
KW  - computer viruses
AB  - Temple University's IT staff created a campus-wide culture of
awareness to mitigate security threats.
N1  - Discussed at IT Journal Club meeting,
A3  - Anonymous
JF  - Educause Quarterly
UR  - http://www.educause.edu/apps/eq/eqm04/eqm043.asp
M1  - Journal
ER  -

TY  - JOUR
ID  - 4
A1  - Smith,M.
A1  - Bass,M.
A1  - McClellan,G.
A1  - Tansley,R.
A1  - Barton,M.
A1  - Branschofsky,M.
A1  - Stuve,D.
A1  - Walker,J. H.
T1  - DSpace: An open source dynamic digital repository
Y1  - 2003
Y2  - January
VL  - 9
IS  - 1
KW  - DSpace
AB  - For the past two years the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(MIT) Libraries and Hewlett-Packard Labs have been collaborating on the
development of an open source system called DSpace™ that functions as a
repository for the digital research and educational material produced
by members of a research university or organization. Running such an
institutionally-based, multidisciplinary repository is increasingly
seen as a natural role for the libraries and archives of
research and teaching organizations. As their constituents produce
increasing amounts of original material in digital formats—much of
which is never published by traditional means—the repository becomes
vital to protect the significant assets of the institution and its
faculty. The first part of this article describes the DSpace system
including its functionality and design, and its approach to various
problems in digital library and archives design. The second part
discusses the implementation of DSpace at MIT, plans for federating the
system, and issues of sustainability.
A3  - Anonymous
AV  - Paper; DSpace Articles
JF  - DLib
M1  - Journal
ER  -

TY  - JOUR
ID  - 6
A1  - Surratt,B. E.
A1  - Hill,D.
T1  - ETD2MARC: A semiautomated workflow for cataloging electronic
theses and dissertations
Y1  - 2004
VL  - 28
SP  - 205
EP  - 223
KW  - Electronic theses and dissertations (ETD)
KW  - MARC
KW  - Perl
KW  - Connexion
AB  - This article describes a semiautomated workflow for cataloging
electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs). A perl script is used to
query the metadata in an institutional ETD database and create a
machine-readable cataloging (MARC) record for each ETD. The MARC
records are imported into the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC)
WorldCat database using the Connexion service, proofread, updated, and
exported to the local catalog. Topics discussed are the cataloging
decisions that were made prior to the creation of the script, the
benefits, and limitations of this workflow, future applications of the
workflow, and future opportunities for research
A3  - Anonymous
SN  - Paper; DSpace Articles
JF  - Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services
M1  - Journal
ER  -

TY  - GEN
ID  - 5
A1  - Tansley,R.
T1  - DSpace 2.0 Design Proposal
Y1  - 2004
Y2  - October 28
KW  - DSpace
KW  - 2.0
AB  - Version 0.2
N1  - Available at
http://www.mit.edu/~rtansley/dspace/Design%20Proposal.doc
A3  - Anonymous
AV  - Favorites; DSpace Articles; Paper
M1  - Generic
ER  -

TY  - CONF
ID  - 2
A1  - Tansley,R.
A1  - Bass,M.
A1  - Stuve,D.
A1  - Branschofsky,M.
A1  - Chudnov,D.
A1  - McClellan,G.
A1  - Smith,M.
T1  - The DSpace institutional digital repository system: current
functionality
Y1  - 2003
Y2  - 27-31 May 2003
SP  - 87
EP  - 97
KW  - Internet
KW  - academic libraries
KW  - data models
KW  - digital libraries
KW  - metadata
KW  - open systems
KW  - user interfaces
KW  - DSpace system architecture
KW  - MIT library
KW  - Web user interface
KW  - breadth-first system
KW  - data model
KW  - educational material preservation
KW  - institutional digital repository
KW  - open archives
KW  - repository functionality
AB  - We describe DSpace/sup /spl trade//, an open source system that
acts as a repository for digital research and educational material
produced by an organization or institution. DSpace was developed during
two years' collaboration between the Hewlett-Packard Company and MIT
Libraries. The development team worked closely with MIT Libraries staff
and early adopter faculty members to produce a 'breadth-first' system,
providing all of the basic features required by a digital repository
service. As well as functioning as a live service, DSpace is intended
as a base for extending repository functionality, particularly to
address long-term preservation concerns. We describe the functionality
of the current DSpace system, and briefly describe its technical
architecture. We conclude with some remarks about the future
development and operation of the DSpace system.
A3  - Anonymous
AV  - Paper; DSpace Articles
M1  - Conference Proceedings
ER  -