[Dspace-general] Use of DSpace by non-research institutions

Halley Pacheco de Oliveira halleypo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:05:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

In the home page of DSpace is written that "DSpace is an open source
digital repository software system for RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS." and
that "DSpace is available under the BSD open source license for
RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS to run as-is, or to modify and extend as
needed."

I would like to know if the use of DSpace is enforced for research
institutions only, or if other institutions can use DSpace too, and
what are the restrictions. As I know, the BSD license doesn't do this
kind of restriction, but maybe it is a plus to the license.

In my case, I work for the local government (Câmara Municipal do Rio
de Janeiro - http://www.camara.rj.gov.br/), a kind of City Council,
and I'm interested in using DSpace as a digital library for law
projects and other internal materials.

There will be any license restrictions?

Thanks,
Halley