[Dspace-general] Use of Dspace for managing archival records

Anny Bridge anybridge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:25:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I think it is imposible to build a archival records management system based
on DSpace.I am investigating it too.As for my case,I use/customize DSpace as
a ebooks warehouse system.My problem is as follows,

(1)How to add more attributes to a item?for example,the price of the
ebook,the cover page image of the ebook,the page count of the ebook.

(2)How to import mass data to the DSpace instead add via workflow book by
book?

(3)How to produce inventory reports?

(4)How to customize the authorization  system?

Any idea is appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Anny

RE: Use of Dspace for managing archival records

Hi Ernie,
>* We are investigating using DSpace as a respository for institutional
*>* records.  The proposed scope right now includes documents created in the

*>* work of public officials, including MS Office documents, PDF files,
*>* graphics, audio and video, (but not e-mail at this time).
*>*
*>* This seems to differ somewhat from the more common use of DSpace as an

*>* IR in the sense of providing access to pre-prints, dissertations,
*>* curriculum materials and other types of documents which are more
*>* designed for dissemination of information.
*>*
*I think you are conflating file formats (e.g. Word, PDF, MP3, etc.) with
genre (pre-prints, articles,
datasets, movies, etc.) There are DSpaces with every conceivable type of
genre and format...

but maybe your point is really to distinguish content that the
institution *wants to disseminate*
as opposed to what they *want to manage*. Most DSpace sites (including
MIT's) are intended
for both. The submitters who submit get the dissemination, and the

libraries manage that content
for them. Some submitters chose *not* to disseminate... they just want
their content managed,
and the system handles that fine -- it's strictly a local policy
decision which you encode in the

access rights for the system.

What DSpace currently lacks for true records management is scheduling...
there is a little bit
of code in there waiting to be finished and turned on to handle
retention schedules and the like,

but it isn't current functionality.

MacKenzie

--