[Dspace-general] Handle help sought!

Stuart Lewis [sdl] sdl at aber.ac.uk
Sat Nov 18 13:56:41 EST 2006

Hi Richard,

> * Can I really only pay my registration by post?
> Is there no online registration?

I'm afraid you will probably have to take this issue up with the Handle
people, although in my experience they have always been quick to reply
and very helpful.

> * If there is a delay, and I start uploading items
> before Handle registration, will there be any difficulties
> in setting up Handle IDs for these items later, once the
> Handle server is up and running?

You'll be glad to hear there should be no problem at all. When you
create items before you have registered a handle, they will use the
dummy handle '123456789'. Once you are issued with a handle, you need to
enter that in the relevant part of [dspace]/config/dspace.cfg
(handle.prefix), restart tomcat, and all new items will use the new
handle.

Assuming you are running DSpace version 1.4, there is a script in
[DSpace]/bin/update-handle-prefix which will allow you to update old
records to your new handle. Once you have run that, you will need to run
[DSpace]/bin/index-all to ensure the search engine rebuilds itself using
the new handle values.

Cheers,

Stuart

P.S. - As a UK user, are you a member of the DSpace UK&I user group?
We're holding our next meeting on Friday (24th) by videoconference, and
there are a number of people gathering at Imperial (amongst other
places) if you'd like to join them? Email me for more details if you are
interested. (The same goes for any other UK or Irish users)

Datblygydd Cymwysiadau'r We            Web Applications Developer
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth       University of Wales Aberystwyth

            E-bost / E-mail: Stuart.Lewis at aber.ac.uk
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860