[Dspace-general] Tomcat not serving Dspace on Ubuntu

Munro L G <munrol@sun.ac.za> munrol at sun.ac.za
Tue Jun 27 01:48:03 EDT 2006

Hi everyone

I was wondering a couple weeks ago if anyone has ever worried about the
Operation System security, its not as if you want to upgrade your Fedora
installation every 9 months, because fedora doesn't issue system updates
after a new version is released.  Since Ubuntu 6.06 LTS came out, I
thought it may be very viable to do a DSPACE install on that OS instead,
especially as it has 5 years support (which no other current linux OS
will give you.)  So I took the plunge, hoping to provide installation
instructions for others on completion.

I managed to install everything without a glitch, and you even getting
official SUN supported JAVA packages.  Not much to do, pop in the CD,
set up our local university repository, opened synaptic and installed
everything needed without a glitch.  The only additional setup for the
system besides clicking was to point out JAVA_HOME in /etc/environment,
reboot and Tomcat works 100% on port 8180.  Up to this point the install
was still under an hour.  I then changed the dspace.cfg, copied the
postgresql-8.1-407.jdbc2.jar into the source, created the install
directories with permissions, created the db, compiled successfully,
copied the .war files, created the admin account, rebooted tomcat.  But
no, it didn't work.

I have tried to compile using sudo, but that doesn't compile. I tried
importing the application from the manager console without success.  I
changed the access permissions and ownership to tomcat5, and then root,
on everything I could find, still no pleasure.  The logs does point to
some permission issue, but I don't know tomcat well enough to solve the
issue at hand.

If anyone can please help, please I'll REALLY appreciate it and
undertake to post my installation steps in detail for newbies on
completion.

Many thanks,

Laurence Munro
Stellenbosch University
Library IT dept
+27 21 808 4100

-------------------------------

Snip of log file:
=================

2006-06-26 07:50:55 StandardContext[/cib-oai]StandardWrapper.Throwable
(java.util.PropertyPermission dspace.configuration read)
	at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.
java:264)
	at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:427
)
	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:532)
	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1285)
	at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:627)
	at
org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.loadConfig(ConfigurationManager.jav
a:409)
	at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.LoadDSpaceConfig.init(LoadDSpaceConfig.java
:64)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)
	at
a:39)
	at
Impl.java:25)
	at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:243)
	at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)

I get the following error in browser:
=====================================

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
	org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:101)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:324)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
	sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

a:39)

Impl.java:25)

org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:243)
	java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)

org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:272)

org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.jav
a:161)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.0 logs.