[Dspace-general] Authorization requirement for bitstream alteration

wendy coones wendy.coones at mediaarthistory.org
Thu Feb 9 07:21:10 EST 2006

Dear all and specifically Frank Wong,

I have found an urgent need to create a group that is allowed to add and
remove bitstreams.  Preferably this can be an expanded version of the SUBMIT
authorization, however as ADMIN authorization is also ok.

I searched the dspace-tech archives and understand this function is
purposefully not in Dspace.  Frank Wong wrote a patch, 2005-05-18.  Our java
programmer has added it, but the ADMIN group still have no access to adding
or removing bitstreams.  I have snipped below the patch Frank wrote. If he
or anyone else could please give further instructions how to make it work, I
would be grateful.  Our Java programmer (essentially from another project)
is not yet fluent in Dspace code.

 snip>>
From: Frank Wong <wcs at ii...>
RE: Authorization Required
2005-05-18 23:51
Hi Scott,

 Thanks for your reply.
 I did a little trick on the source file.
 "admin/EditItemServlet.java" to bypass the Admin checking.

             // only process bitstreams if admin
             else if (p.startsWith("bitstream_name") )
             //        && AuthorizeManager.isAdmin(context))

 It works for my case.

 Frank
 snip>>

Best regards,