[Dspace-general] RES: DSpace for e-theses

Steve Thomas stephen.thomas at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Dec 18 18:46:40 EST 2006

I've had only a quick read of this, but the author has made a number of
errors, in my opinion:

1. She's ignored (or wasn't informed about) the customisation capabilities
of DSpace -- additional indexes, changes to item displays etc.

2. She's ignored (or wasn't informed about) the availability of SQL as a
query tool for reporting and the like. Sure, SQL is ugly, but it provides a
powerful option for the sorts of issues she's raised.

3. She's confused DSpace with an administration and reporting tool, which it
hasn't been designed to do. It's a moot point whether DSpace should have
these capabilities, and I guess a topic for future development.

I guess this points to an issue with marketing -- there's obviously some
confusion about what DSpace _is_, and this reflects, IMHO, similar confusion
among the development community.

For me, the key strengths of DSpace are:

1. Free.

2. Open source.

3. Solid database back end with SQL.

4. Support for OAI-PMH harvesting.

5. Simple Web interface.

6. Accessible to search engines (Google etc.) -- not a "dark" archive. (Does
WebGencat allow Google indexing? I only see a search form interface.)

7. Provision for organising content (Communities and Collections). (I'm not
aware of any other repository software that provides this, and while not an
essential, it is proving to be useful here.)

Sure, there are irritations in DSpace (I'd love a Next item button on the
Item display), but it has great strength for what it has been designed to
do.

Steve

Stephen Thomas,
Senior Systems Analyst,
University of Adelaide Library
UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE SA 5005 AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 8 830 35190
Fax: +61 8 830 34369
Email: stephen.thomas at adelaide.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.