[Dspace-general] too many open files

Mark Diggory mdiggory at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 5 15:41:54 EST 2006

Sorry, that was an erronious statement I just made:

Filter-Media does actually call the same code that index-all is
calling, but you can turn this off at the command line by adding the
option "-n".

Note, if you are running index-all and filter-media consecutively
every night, you want to either just run filter-media or run filter-
media -n and then run index-all.

Either way, it is a reindexing of the Lucene indexes that could help
yu with this issue.

-Mark

On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Mark Diggory wrote:

> FilterMedia doesn't actually interact with Lucene directly, only
> indirectly in that any generated text bitstreams will get picked up
> later when "index-all" is called. So, no, running filtermedia will
> not solve your too many files open issue.
>
> The current version of <dspace>/bin/index-all will rebuild your
> entire lucene search index (and this will be completely optimized
> as welli). The usual suggestion is to run it nightly in a cron job
> on your dspace server. if you look in <dspace>/search and see many
> many "segment" files there, this may suggest that your index is not
> optimized.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Jose Blanco wrote:
>
>> A day ago I posted that we were getting “too many files open”
>> error and I found this thread today discussing it:
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
>> forum_id=39921&max_rows=25&style=flat&viewmonth=200408
>>

>> I’m a bit confused as to what I need to do.  I have version 1.4 of
>> DSpace, I’m not sure what version of Lucene I have.  Can some one
>> tell me how I can find that out?  Do I need to get the latest
>> version of Lucene and run ./filter-media with a –f switch to force
>> all items to be re-indexed to create compound files and get rid of
>> this error?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> Jose

> Mark R. Diggory

Mark R. Diggory
DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology