[Dspace-general] File Naming Conventions

Alvin Hutchinson HUTCHINSONA at si.edu
Wed Apr 19 16:21:46 EDT 2006

Has anyone wrestled with the issue of consistent file names for objects in
DSpace? I'm not sure it is an issue but several of my researchers have
brought it up.

To date I have only been working with reprints and my standard has been
'AuthorLastnameDate.pdf' as in: Hutchinson2006.pdf. In the case of multiple
publications from one from an author in a given year, I have been adding a,
b, c, etc. to the end of the date.

However some scientists have suggested embedding some metadata such as:

Hutchinson_AmScientist_pp659-67_2004.pdf
or
Hutchinson_AmScientist_freshwater_ecology_2005.pdf

Should any of this make a difference either now or in some unforseen future
situation?

Alvin Hutchinson
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
202.633.1031