[Dspace-general] DSpace project staff comings and goings...

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 18 09:51:44 EDT 2006

Dear DSpace community,

I am writing with an important update on staffing for the DSpace project at
HP and MIT.

First, after five years and many great contributions to the DSpace project,
Rob Tansley
is moving on from HP Labs. He is going to Google Labs in New York, and will
be leaving
us in late April.  Rob says that he hopes to keep a toe in the DSpace
water, but his
attention will inevitably be diverted to new things so we can expect to
hear much less
often from him after this month. I think Rob plans to send a personal note
about his
departure soon.

Second, I would like to welcome a new face to the DSpace technical community,
Mark Diggory has just joined MIT as the lead developer for DSpace at MIT. Mark
brings
a lot of experience working on open source projects at Harvard University
and the World
Bank, and he will be an active contributor to the DSpace open source project.

Finally, MIT and HP are continuing to discuss the outcomes of the DSpace
Federation
Advisory Board meeting a couple of weeks ago, and are making some progress
with the
new groups that were called for (i.e. the interim steering committee and
technical working
group). I hope to have an update for you on that quite soon.

If you have questions please feel free to contact either of us directly,
and best wishes
for the user group meeting in Bergen this week,

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries

Nick Wainwright
Research Director, Digital Media System Department
HP Labs