[Dspace-general] redirecting port 8080 to 80

Tim Donohue tdonohue at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 3 10:55:41 EDT 2005

Hennie,

Here at UIUC, we have DSpace 1.3.1 running on Tomcat with Apache, on a
RedHat box (RHEL 3.2).
We have Apache 2.0.46 redirecting to Tomcat 5.5.9 for all DSpace
requests using the "mod_jk" Connector (available at
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tomcat.html).

Here's the basic steps:
1) Get DSpace up and running on Tomcat.  Make sure you can access it
through port 8080 (e.g. http://my-host:8080/dspace).  It sounds like you
already have this in place, from your email.
2) Follow the installation & configuration instructions for Apache HTTPD
that I've attached in a PDF.   These instructions are occasionally a
little specific to RedHat, but hopefully they will give you at least a
general idea of how to get the "mod_jk" Connector setup to connect
Apache & Tomcat.  I've copied these instructions from a larger
installation document that I've created....but I didn't want to send out
the larger document across this mailing list, so I just cut out the
sections pertaining to configuring Apache with mod_jk.
3) After you have "mod_jk" installed, make sure  your "jk.conf" (or
"httpd.conf") has a line like:
JkMount /* ajp13     (if your DSpace has a path like
"http://my-hostname:8080/")
OR
JkMount /dspace/* ajp13 (if your DSpace has a path like
"http://my-hostname:8080/dspace/")

This line will forward all connections to that particular "context" in
Apache to the AJP13 connector (which, if you've configured it right,
will forward on to port 8080, Tomcat!)

Let me know if you have any questions...again, we don't have Solaris
here, so I most likely cannot answer any Solaris specific questions.
But, I may be able to clear up any configuration questions you may have.

Tim

Timothy G. Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
52 Grainger Engineering Library

email: tdonohue at uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 244-7809
fax:   (217) 244-7764