[Dspace-general] Release form

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 21 17:25:30 EST 2005

Hi John,

At 10:56 AM 11/21/2005 -0800, John Repplinger wrote:
>I've searched the DSpace list serv archive, I haven't seen too many
>references to release forms that allow institutions to collect & maintain
>documents.  I think the type of form is similar to copyright or author
>release agreements, but maybe this isn't what these types of forms are called.

The DSpace software comes with what is referred to as a "deposit license"
which is clicked
through as a step in the submission process. The generic license is
available in the CVS tree
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dspace/dspace/config/default.license?rev=1.3&view=log
and you're supposed to customize it when you install the software. The MIT
example can be
viewed at http://libraries.mit.edu/dspace-mit/mit/policies/license.html

The assumption (which MIT's lawyers approved... dunno about yours) is that
the author/depositor
or their proxy has the right to give you (the DSpace archive owner) the
right to manage the item,
and that the click through license is binding.

Some institutions have taken the approach of an MOU with each community at
the time
they join the archive (for example, CDL does that for eScholarship), but we
felt that would
be a bit too much of a barrier to joining for your average faculty member...

Hope this helps you,

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries