[Dspace-general] Ability to replace existing items

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 26 00:54:11 EST 2005

As is so often the case, this is *not* a technical issue... DSpace is quite
capable of supporting file replacements
via several means, include direct sql calls to the database (as we've had
to do on occaision to clean up messes).
Rather this is a local *policy* issue, and it has several important
consequences.... for one thing the associated
metadata can get messed up (e.g. the checksums and other technical
properties of the file) if they aren't also
regenerated when the replacement is deposited.

The other *major* problem with allowing replacements is the whole long-term
persistence and preservation
commitment that some of us are making to our community... if someone
submits a paper to DSpace and it
gets a Handle, then someone else cites that paper in DSpace using that
Handle, then the author decides to
submit a different version of his paper and *replaces* the original, the
citer is out of luck -- the new version
might invalidate her conclusions in the citing document and *no one will
ever know that the cited work is not
the original one that she read*. In other words, you're toying with the
scholarly record. When faculty have asked
us to change our no replacement policy and we've talked them through this
example they often concur that it
would be better to keep all versions.

However, I can see that while published papers probably shouldn't be
replaced willy nilly, since they're part
of the permanent scholarly record, a learning object or other item that is
more ephemeral in nature might not
require such strict policies. Up to you...

MacKenzie