[Dspace-general] DSpace, Fedora, Greenspace, et cetra Side by Side Comparison

Sayeed Choudhury sayeed at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 19 20:30:11 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Lee Courtney wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone on the list aware of an apples to apples comparison of
> various
> open source (DSpace, Fedora, Greenspace specifically) and commercial
> (IBM
> Digital Librarian, Documentum) IR offerings?
>
> I realize this type of study depends in large degree on the
> organization,
> how the IR will be used, and what content will occupy the repository.
> The
> question I have been asked is which of many options is best suited for
> us.
>
> I've done a search of the dspace-general list archive, but didn't find
> any
> specific leads.
>
> Thanks for any and all pointers and assistance.

Lee,

Our group at Johns Hopkins has made preliminary comparisons in the
manner in which you describe.  We have also received a recent grant
from the Mellon Foundation to formalize and extend our initial work.
You raise good points regarding the organization, use of the IR, and
the content in question.  We re planning to work with use cases to help
focus our evaluation efforts.  The first step in our project will be to
clarify and define use cases, and I'd welcome any feedback or ideas in
this regard.

It's our plan to work with both MIT and UVA on this project, but we
will consider other repositories and systems.  Our proposal is
available at http://dkc.jhu.edu/repository.html

Sayeed

Sayeed Choudhury
Associate Director for Library Digital Programs
Hodson Director of the Digital Knowledge Center
Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
sayeed at jhu.edu
http://dkc.jhu.edu