[Dspace-general] Import items - Replace option

Beatriz Langiano bialangiano at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jan 17 07:05:20 EST 2005

Hi MacKenzie and all,

So, something is wrong in my replace option, for
example:

I'd like to replace the item 1884/576, but when I run:

dsrun org.dspace.app.itemimport.ItemImport --replace
--eperson=beatriz at inf.ufpr.br --collection=4
--source=/home/dspace/test --mapfile=mapfile

A new handle was created... see:

Replacing:  1884/576
Adding item from directory 1

/home/dspace/test/1/dublin_core.xml
        Element: language Qualifier: iso Value: po
        Element: contributor Qualifier: author Value:
Test, Final
        Element: title Qualifier: none Value: Teste
final para ver se o replace funciona

Processing contents file: /home/dspace/test/1/contents
Processing handle file: handle
It appears there is no handle file -- generating one

The handle item now is 1884/577.
Could you help me?

Thanks, Beatriz

 --- MacKenzie Smith <kenzie at MIT.EDU> escreveu:
> When you add a new item it gets a new Handle (i.e.

> persistent identifier).
> When you replace an item the metadata and/or
> bitstreams are updated but the
> Handle
> remains the same as before, so citations to that
> item continue to resolve.
> When you remove an item the Handle continues to
> resolve to a tombstone for
> the item
> so people can see that it used to exist but is out
> of circulation.
>
> MacKenzie
>

> At 08:52 AM 1/14/2005 -0300, Beatriz Langiano wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm reading about Importing items in dspace
> documentation, and there are
> >three oprtions: add, replace and remove items.
> >
> >I didn't understand about the replace option.
> >The documentation says:  "Replacing items uses the
> map file to replace the
> >old items and still retain their handles".
> >
> >What does mean "still retain their handles"?
> >

> >Thanks, Beatriz

=====
Beatriz Langiano
Mestrado em Informática