[Dspace-general] Google Scholar & DSpace Google

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 13 19:06:27 EST 2005

At 08:43 PM 1/13/2005 +0000, Bevan, Simon wrote:
>I'd like to know whether Google learned any lessons from our pilot and
>whether those lessons actually fed into the development of Scholar. If
>the answer were yes, then this would give all of us a little kudos
>(assuming you think Scholar a 'good thing').

Well I know that Anurag Acharya (the guy at Google who worked on both
projects) tried
a number of small experiments on the way to defining the Google Scholar
project,
which is not itself completely finished yet... it's a work in progress. He
definately looked
at our repositories and our data and thought about how to achieve critical
mass,
identify quality, add the most value to the search/retrieval process, etc.
So I think it's
safe to say that our pilot helped him along in that thinking!

>It would be interesting to have the ability to limit Google Scholar searches
>to institutional repositories although I'm not sure how 'useful' this
>would be.

And when there's enough content in there coming from our IRs then we should
suggest
that to them (although having the OA flags would be a good step in that
direction!)

>I'll be happier when the Scholar bot gets around to indexing our DSpace stuff!

If you haven't already, email him at scholar-publisher at google.com to ask if
they can
get to you sooner. They'll sometimes do an ad hoc crawl of a site if you
ask them to...

MacKenzie