[Dspace-general] backgrounds of IR groups

Carol Hixson chixson at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:18:44 EST 2005

In recent discussions with some colleagues about
our work on the University of Oregon's institutional
repository, some questions were raised about
the background and expertise of the people working
on institutional repositories at different institutions.
It was fascinating to hear because each person seemed
to assume that people with their backgrounds were not
ordinarily involved in planning for and implementing
institutional repositories. So, I thought I'd conduct
an informal survey on the issue on this list:

1) How many people at your institution are involved
with the planning and implementation of your
institutional repository? (with or without FTE)
2) What is the background of the people involved?
2a) From within the library, what departments/units are
  represented? (reference, collection development,
systems, cataloging, special collections, documents,
administration, etc.)
2b) From outside the library, what departments/units are
represented? (campus computing, academic departments,
campus administration, etc.)

Thanks for your time.

Carol Hixson
Head, Metadata and Digital Library Services
University of Oregon Libraries
chixson at darkwing.uoregon.edu