[Dspace-general] dspace user / shared tomcat workers?

Sergio Trejo sergtrejo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:54:18 EST 2005

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and am wondering if anyone might be able
to offer a suggestion. I noticed in the DSpace 1.2.1 documentation
that there is a requirement such that DSpace needs to run as the same
user as Tomcat (so one might want to install and run Tomcat as a user
called 'dspace').

This is problematic for me because I'm using my default Tomcat worker
for more than just DSpace, and in fact I have Tomcat run by jsvc
(which jsvc is a UNIX daemon launched by root and run by a user named
"www" on Mac OS X). Is it generally a bad idea to share a default
Tomcat installation (with its default worker instances) with DSpace
and another application requiring Tomcat? Would it be better to have
seperate Tomcat installations and thus workers (initially on the same
machine but later it would be split out), one such installation for
DSpace and another for my other application, or can they share and
play well together under the same Tomcat install / worker set?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Sergio