[Dspace-general] metadata questions

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gawab.com
Wed Feb 2 17:59:44 EST 2005

Hi,

Does DSpace provide a functionality of automatically uploading files
into its repository? If it does not, has anybody on this list already
written an application which integrates with DSpace and implement this
functionality?

I've also noticed that DSpace only uses the Dublin Core metadata schema
and doesn't give you an option to use your own schema. A work around for
this might be to extend the default Dublin Core schema by inputting
extra attributes that a collection or a file might need, but this still
has to be done manually. Is there a way to automate this process so that
users won't have to manually annotate files in the collection anymore?

Are there any plans for DSpace to support other metadata schemas? Has
anybody written a Java API for DSpace which we can use if ever we decide
to write an application which will communicate with the server?

Gerson