[Dspace-general] viewing a Flash object with multiple files

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Mon Aug 29 10:12:02 EDT 2005

	Hi there, we are working with Dspace to create a Learning Object
Repository.  Right now we are in the process of uploading the Flash
exercises we have created over the past few years.  Most consist of a
single file.  However, some are exercises made up of multiple files.
Right now, Dspace allows us to upload the different files for the Flash
exercise, but they are listed separately on the item's page, and we are
unable to actually view the exercise as it would show up in our WebCT
course or using the Flash reader.  It appears that each file of a
multiple file object is put into a separate folder, and so Dspace is
unable to follow the linking directions.

	Has anyone had any experience with this and found a solution?

Hello Mary,

This is very similar to dealing with HTML documents that consist of
multiple files (images, links etc).  In such items, one bitstream is
tagged as the 'primary' bitstream.  This becomes the only file linked
from the item display page, and DSpace can then effectively put all the
files in the item in one 'directory' so that it is rendered correctly in
end user's browsers.

I suspect the same solution will work for you. There are two ways you
can go about this:

The first way doesn't actually need any modifications to DSpace.  Along
with the Flash files, you could upload an HTML file which includes links
to each Flash file, and tag this as the 'primary' bitstream.  The links
between the Flash files should then work.  Or, if one Flash file is
always the 'starting point' and you don't need end users to be able to
go directly to one of the others, you can 'embed' the Flash object in
that HTML file.

The second way involves a tiny piece of code changing, but would mean
you don't need to create that HTML file each time.  It also only makes
sense if one Flash file is always the starting point, and you don't want
the other Flash files to be listed on the item display page.  In this
case, you can tag the first Flash file as the primary bitstream.  But
you'll also need to make a (very minor) modification to the DSpace code
to tell it to go into 'HTML mode' if the primary bitstream is Flash.
(Currently it only happens if the primary bitstream is HTML.)

Hope this helps,
 Robert TANSLEY / Digital Media Systems Programme / HP Labs
  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/