[Dspace-general] Handle 'Prefix' or Local Server?

courtois@ksu.edu courtois at ksu.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:29:00 EDT 2004

We're just installing DSpace and I'm not sure what to do in terms of
Handles.  The DSpace documentation says:

"Each site running DSpace needs to obtain a Handle 'prefix' from
CNRI..."

The CNRI site, however, says we have to set up our own handle server:

"NOTE: If you are planning to implement DSpace(digital repository
project - MIT Libraries) then a subnaming authority from the CNRI
Public Handle Service is NOT what you want. You will need to set up
your own local handle service. To begin this please go to the
handle.net software download page for the latest handle server
distribution. Thank you."
(http://hs9.cnri.reston.va.us/CNRIHS/index.html)

Do we need to install HSj (Local Handle System Server Version 5.3.3)
JAVA Version from CNRI (http://www.handle.net/download.html)?

Thanks for your help,

Marty Courtois
Instructional Technology Assistance Center
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66502
Phone: 785-532-4918
E-mail: courtois at ksu.edu