[Dspace-general] Symbols & Special Characters: Policies & Searching

Michael Leach leach at eps.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 20 16:47:06 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

     I am wondering how other institutions are handling symbols (especially
mathematical & physics-related) and special characters in their Dspace
implementations.  Specifically, we are wondering:

1) Do you input two titles: one with the special characters "as is" and
another with the characters "spelled out" as in AACRII (e.g. "2[/sup 3]" to
show 2-cubed.

2) How are you informing/training researchers/users to approach special
characters & symbols in their searching of your repository?

     Any direction, policy examples, experience you have is
appreciated.  Thanks.

Michael Leach
Harvard University
mrleach at fas.harvard.edu or leach at eps.harvard.edu