[Dspace-general] Restricting Collections

Scott P. Muir smuir1 at emich.edu
Fri Nov 19 10:30:15 EST 2004

I am in the process of writing our policies that we will use to support
ETDs in DSpace.  This will be our first collection that we will
implement.  Typically many Universities give their students the opportunity
to restrict the web access to their dissertation in several ways.  1) One
approach is to limit access to a select group (e.g. limited to the Dean,
the Department head, the Advisors, and the Academic Committee)  I believe
that can be accomplished by creating a community and limiting access to
that community.  2) It might also be made available to anyone searching the
database.  3) The one that puzzles me would be making access available to
the campus community only.  From what I saw on this list recently, I
gathered that limiting by I.P. address is not  an option.  Is that a
correct understanding?  If so, has anyone found a way to address this issue?

Thanks

Scott P Muir
Associate University Librarian
Bruce T. Halle Library, Room 200F