[Dspace-general] RE: [Dspace-tech] DSpace search engine (HELP)

Chen, Kevin chenk at u.library.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 30 12:55:56 EST 2004

Charles,

We have been implementing a huge learning object repository using DSpace for
a year. To my best knowledge there is no way you can instruct the current
version of DSpace to search inside the files. Searching inside files is not
an easy task for search engines. For one thing, there is no application or
code module in the world that knows how to "decode" the contents from every
kind of file format.

I don't know whether Lucene has the capability of doing so, but if it has
you'll have to do it by yourself - making new Java classes to call Lucene
APIs to search on files ~

Nai-Shuo Kevin Chen
Senior Applications Systems Analyst
University of Arizona Libraries
MS.MIS, U. of Arizona 2003
MS.Administration, Central Michigan U., 2000