[Dspace-general] which dc qualifier for edition ?

Dimple Patel dimplerp at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 28 12:36:18 EDT 2004

hi all,
i think another solution to this problem could be the use of the dc
element refinement for relation isVersionOf.

regds,
dimple.
> Another one that the librarians have been fighting about for years. It
> is still unsettled, the current rule of rare books is different from the
> others. Among the problems is that of a paperback vs. a hardback--they
> will have different ISBNs, because ISBN is in origin a bookseller's
> number for inventory purposes; if they have the same year of publication
> and no indication the text is different, they're usually considered the
> same. (Here follows the long chapters from the standards,)  Again my
> advice as a librarian is not to get involved. The simple rule, if the
> book is in hand, is to copy whatever the book says. If not in hand, the
> only practical procedure is to repeat whatever the author of the source
> you are using says, if he says anything. If not, just give the date.
> That usually is sufficient to identify. (The only actual alternative is
> to go back and ask the author)
>
> Adiscussion recently appeared on the liblicense list about variant
> versions, in the context that the text may be different in a copy on the
> author's site vs. the publisher's site or the  printed item.  The
> consensus is that one or the other must be specified by the publisher as
> being authoritative. Some publishers specify print, some online. The
> versioning problem, as this is called, is potentially a very serious
> one, especially if sites copy the contents of other sites but do not
> synchronize updates.
>
> Again, my advice is to do something simple, like date, and leave the
> further specifics to the next stage of refinement..  One must choose
> whether to enter detailed data and resolve all problems, or to get
> material processed raidly.
>
> Dr. David Goodman
> Associate Professor
> Palmer Library School, LIU
> dgoodman at liu.edu
>
> and, formerly,
> Princeton University Library

Dimple Patel,
Senior Research Fellow,
Documentation Research and Training Centre,
Indian Statistical Institute,
8th Mile, Mysore Road, RVCE Post,
Bangalore. PIN - 560059. Karnataka, INDIA.
1. Contribute to LDL: Librarians' Digital Library
   https://drtc.isibang.ac.in
2. Join today Digital Library Discussion Forum
   http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/dlrg
“Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in
my library are books that other folks have lent me." — Anatole FRANCE
(1844-1924) [Source: http://www.ifla.org/I/humour/subj.htm#book]