[Dspace-general] data sets

Connie Rinaldo crinaldo at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 24 12:33:36 EDT 2004

A group of librarians in the Harvard University Science Libraries are
in the process of developing a repository using DSpace.  We are
currently testing our installation by loading articles and theses. We
are also planning to load audiovisual materials, learning objects,
scientific data sets, and possibly use DSpace to publish some local
publications.

We would like to hear about others' attempts (successful and
unsuccessful!) at using DSpace to store data sets, particularly large
scientific ones.  We have not settled on a metadata schema for data
sets but are looking at the Document Data Initiative (
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/) as a possibility. Any advice, warnings
or other comments would be welcome.

Connie Rinaldo
Connie Rinaldo, Librarian of the Ernst Mayr Library
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University,
26 Oxford St., Cambridge, MA  02138
voice: 617-495-4576; fax: 617-496-6838
email: crinaldo at oeb.harvard.edu
http://library.mcz.harvard.edu
"To a person uninstructed in natural history, his country
or seaside stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with
wonderful works of art, nine-tenths of which have their faces
turned to the wall" Thomas Henry Huxley